Monday, May 31, 2010

VegChilli

You need a big pot and lots of beans...
Chilli beans, black peans, pinto beans, whatever you have really in tins if you have that washed out and drained... about 2-3 tins in totally
celery
mushrooms
zucchini/squash/courgette or wherever you come from whatever you call it
carrots
bell peppers/capsicum
beans
jalepeno peppers
chilli
cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
garlic
onion
tinned tomatos or pasta sauce or fresh tomatoes

chop onion garlic and celery and fry this in the bottom of a big pot, then add some mushrooms and chilli and peppers
usually I have a freezer full of tubs of tomatoes that have been soaked in hot water then squashed over friend onion and garlic,,, this is what a use as a base, but tinned tomatos work fine or even plain tomato pasta sauce if that what you have... these need to go in now to the thickness you want, you basically honestly can use whatever vegetables you want in your chilli such as using corn or not using mushrooms and create a heat that suits you, I personally do not use chilli in my chilli as the jalepeno peppers do just fine with the cayenne pepper...
so then you just add lots of your chosen available chilli beans... this needs to sit on a low heat for a while and let all the flavours introduce themselves to one another and hang out for a while, it is definitely a recipe that tastes great the next day when further development of flavour friendships have taken place.
so I suppose that sums up my cooking style just to use what is available in your cupboard and fridge, and not to let things go to waste... I tried to follow a recipe the other day for pastry and it all blew up in my face, or quite literally it all boiled over and almost caught fire to my oven... so i tried again on my own more flexible recipe free terms, with just an idea in my head of what I wanted in the end and it turned out gloriously but there is a another recipe for another day...
and a lesson to always learn from your mistakes, as they are valuable life experiences nothing to crush yourself into pieces over...

No comments:

Post a Comment